Technology and travelling light often seem contradictory.
However, in recent years, we have developed our own list of essential gadgets that we take with us on our travels.
- Two iPads and at least one iPhone – for writing reviews, social media, using Apple Wallet and keeping in touch via FaceTime.
- Two wifi cameras – for illustrating reviews and social media updates.
- Portable digital scales. With excess baggage fees today, these scales are essential. We hook them to our bag handle and lift the luggage for an LED weight read-out.
- An all-in-one powerpoint adapter. After years to carrying one for European powerpoints and another for the US, we were thrilled when all-in-one devices appeared.
- Power bank. These are extremely handy, especially if they have enough juice to charge two devices.
- It’s almost a hotel truism that there are never enough powerpoints in your room. We use a multi adapter which combine extra power points, USB points and a surge protector.
- Bags may have individual locks, but we keep hearing about people who have lost their entire luggage on ferries or buses. So we take a retractable cable lock with a 90 cm steel cable for wrapping around a pole or rack.
- An ‘under the door’ alarm and a range of anti-theft bags and clothing.
- To complement hotel wifi, we adapted an old Apple Express music player to serve as a travel router and plug into high speed internet cables available in most rooms. Time will eventually catch up with this old technology, but at the moment, it works well.